Today I’m gonna be showing you how I made some edible THC sugar. This was just an experiment I was doing to test out my new vacuum pump as I was excited to finally have one and be able to use a vacuum chamber. I don’t recommend you follow this as a how-to as this is just an experiment I did, and I did make some errors. I’m excited to show you the process. So, let’s get started,

 

#1 Step One: 

 

The first thing I did was that I took some plain sugar purchased from Amazon and measured one cup of it into a measuring container. Then I took 190 proof clear spring grain alcohol that I purchased when I went on a trip to America and measured one cup of that into a measuring container. Then placed a beaker onto a hot plate and measured out about 60 ml of the ethanol and dropped in a magnetic stir bar as well as poured in one gram of distillate. This gram of distillate contains about 900 milligrams of THC. 

 

Hence, I turned on the magnetic hotplate stirrer which started stirring the magnetic stir bar on its minimum heat setting which helped to dissolve the THC into the ethanol. This process took about 30 seconds to fully dissolve. 

 

Note: During this process, if your distillate does not fully dissolve or there is cloudiness then you know that your distillate has been cut with something and is impure. Do not use that for smoking.

 

# Step Two:

 

I turned on the strong stirring to scrape the remainder from the edges of the beaker as those can be more a lot more stubborn and stuck to the sides. After fully dissolving into the ethanol I poured the dissolved portion back into the measuring container and it instantly fully mixed. Then I added one cup of organic cane sugar to the solution. Ethanol is sufficiently polar to dissolve some glucose. In water it is hydrogen bonding which provides the polarity while in ethanol van der Waals forces provide the polarity which are weaker. 

 

In molecular physics the van der Waals force named after dutch scientist johannes Derek van der Waals is a distant dependent interaction between atoms or molecules. This means is that the electrons around an atom are always revolving around the atom. When these electrons happen to be on the same side of the atom this part of the atom becomes slightly negative and the other part becomes slightly positive. When this happens on atoms near each other, a brief attraction occurs between the slightly negative side called a dipole. It happens on one atom and the slightly positive dipole on the other atom.

 

It is not a strong interaction but when a shit-ton of atoms simultaneously line up and this happens it is something worth considering. I noticed that the sugar was not dissolving very well into the ethanol so I decided to add another cup of ethanol hoping that that would help the sugar fully dissolve. 

 

# Step Three:

 

After the above steps, I attached a rubber stopper to the top of the beaker and attached vacuum hosing and pulled a vacuum. This caused the solution to start to boil. I was hoping that this would help the sugar dissolve into the ethanol more but it did not really assist in the process. The reason could be, I fully saturated the ethanol and have a large amount of sugar left over. But, I just want to have the THC evenly distributed across the sugar and this should be sufficient for that.

 

Then I removed the vacuum and boiled the solution normally to help reduce the ethanol. I love the solution to boil for about half an hour which reduced the majority of the alcohol from the solution. At this phase, I did notice that the sugar was now beginning to more fully dissolve into the ethanol. 

 

So it seems heat helped a lot. I also believe that 5 percent of water content was aiding strongly in this. I beg I removed the magnetic stirrer as I was ready to reduce the rest of the solution I didn’t want it to get in the way. At this point, I was also happy to see that the solution had fully dissolved the sugar. The reason is still unknown. Maybe this is from the heat or the higher water content as the ethanol boiled off. But either way, this was a good sign as it showed me that the THC was evenly distributed across the solution.

 

# Step Four: