Growing marijuana indoors is common for several reasons. The first is people that want to grow cannabis find that the indoor garden gives them ample time to work with their crop, because of the location. The second reason is that they are able to experiment more with an indoor crop than any other and it also allows them to avoid buying marijuana from anyone else. That means they can avoid the danger associated with buying pot from friends or off the streets and risk being caught.
The third reason that some growers that are both inexperienced and the most experienced grower is watching the seeds poke through the soil and become large lush plants that put the rest of the house plants to shame.
Can Anyone Grow Pot?
Growing pot is something that anyone can do with the right knowledge, even if they have never grown an indoor plant before; it is possible to have a high yield indoor marijuana crop. The inexperience grower about to plant the first crop of marijuana or the experience grower that has had problems in the past can find the answers they need with step-by-step directions that can make any crop of lush green high yield cannabis crop.
Step By Step
- The first step in planting cannabis crop is to use good quality seeds, whether they come from your own stash, a friend or by purchasing good marijuana seeds. Many times people save special seeds from some pot that they felt was some of the best that they have smoked, and they will part some of the seeds in trade for some of the harvest. Ultimately it does not matter where the seeds come from, but that they are seeds that will produce a quality crop.
- The next step is to germinate seeds, and there are several different thoughts about how this should be done. One thought is that the seeds should be germinated using damp paper towels, this method is done by wetting approximately six paper towels and ring them so that they are moist, and then the seeds are laid out in the towels and then covered by the rest of the moist paper towels. Then they are placed in a dry dark place such as a cupboard for several days until the seed splits open and the tip of the root is exposed. Another method of germinating marijuana seeds is done in much the same way, with the exception that in place of the moist paper towels sponges are used. One moist sponge is used to lay the seeds on and another is placed on top, then they are put into a dry place is dark for several days. Each of these methods the grower must check to make sure that either the sponges or paper towels do not dry out. Should they start to lose their moistness the use of a spray bottle will allow the grower to keep the seeds moist without them becoming too wet. The last method that a few growers use is to simply put the seeds into moist soil, and allow them to germinate right in the soil.
- The third step in growing a marijuana crop is to plant the germinated seeds, this means the seeds have cracked open and there is the tail of a root formed. The seeds are planted by making an indentation in moist quality soil and placing the seed in with the beginning root down. Then the seeds are covered by sprinkling soil overtop of them, but not packing the soil down.
- The forth and last step is to supply the cannabis plants with the proper amount of light while they are growing and in this stage the lights which are used are fluorescent. The fluorescent lighting should be hung so that it is approximately two inches above the newly planted seedlings and as they grow the lighting is raised.
These are the four most important things to remember when starting a marijuana crop, and even for the grower with no experience these are fail safe steps that will have you on your way to harvesting the first crop.
Starting a Crop from a Seed
Growing a crop of cannabis from seed means several things, first it means the seed will need to be germinated and is secondly there will need to be more seeds germinated than what the grower intends to have. This is because the chance of some of these seeds being male is a more than fifty percent possibility.
Is also possible that there will be weak plants may not do well in the grower needs to take both of these possibilities as something that could possibly happen when they decide the amount of seeds to germinate.
There are several different ways that growers germinate seeds; the first is by using the paper towels and placing seeds in the towels covering the seeds with more damp paper towels and then placing it in a dark cupboard for several days. Another method is by using damp sponges in the same manner, placing seeds on one sponge and covering them with another. There is a third method, this is only used by some growers and that is to place the seeds in a glass of water at room temperature until they split open and detail of the main root becomes visible.
Germinating the cannabis seeds can take a few days, and while this is being done the grower prepares the soil, the growing area and any other details they need to see too. Then when the seeds have split open and a piece of the main root is visible, they can be gently planted in pots that are no larger than 6 inches with tail root facing down. This is important for the grower to make sure that this root is planted downward in order for the plant to grow.
During this time the lighting, usually florescent should be between 2 to 5 inches from plants in the grower should see the plant anywhere from 1 to 14 days. Most growers will leave the lighting on twenty-four hours a day during this period in order for the seedlings to grow faster.
All about soil
Once the work has been done to locate the perfect seeds that will provide great harvest, the next thing that needs to be done will be choosing the proper soil. This is because the seeds can only do as well as the soil that nourishes them will allow. Choosing soil for the perfect cannabis crop saving money should be the last idea that enters the growers mind, because quality soil is one of the most important ingredients in having healthy marijuana plants that have a high yield harvest. The soil needs to be sterilized soil that can be found at local stores, rather than the common yard soil, which is filled with parasites that will damage the cannabis crop and in some cases kill the plants. There are also certain properties should be looked for in the soil for the best results and growing:
- The soil should be mixed with either perlite or sponge rock and sand should be added, this will allow the soil to drain well and at the same time missing and will help to keep the soil moist.
- Happy and healthy marijuana plants soil will need to be the proper pH level and this is between 6.5 and 7.5, this will be the optimal pH level in which marijuana plants will grow to their full potential. Soil that is below this level or that is acidic will be problem soil for the pot plants and will require much more work to have a healthy crop.
- One of the other things the soil should contain is humus, this allows the soil to remain moist and hold in nutrients. That means the plant roots will be better able to feed the plants and allow them to reach their full potential before being harvested.
There are many growers that prefer to know the mixture of their soil, and one of the mixtures that works best for healthy marijuana plants is:
- For each four gallons of soil, there should be two parts of moss added, one part sand and one part either perlite or sponge rock added to the soil. This is a winning combination for growing cannabis, to keep the soil moist, to hold in the nutrients, and the mixture should be tested for the proper pH level after being mixed.
Using yard dirt is something that is not recommended and for the person that does use yard soil it will need to be sterilized and that is something that will take work and make the house smell, the odor might cause leaving the house until it is aired out. This is because soil from the yard contains parasites and will need to be baked in the oven to kill these at 250 degrees for approximately an hour. The parasites must be killed, or it can mean risking the entire crop to disease.
After the soil has been baked and cooled, then it is important to add fertilizer like Rapid-Gro and mix it in thoroughly. Depending on the amount of soil it might take about a teaspoon per oven load and if the pH level is low a half pound of lime added to one cubic foot of soil will raise it one point. The soil can be tested with litmus paper that can be found in soil testing kits that are stocked at most plant stores.
The Right Containers
Containers for many cannabis growers might be an afterthought when they are inexperienced and one of the important things to know about containers is no matter what kind is used, they need to be sterilized. The marijuana plants will need two different size pots, the first pot should be no larger than six inches, and this will be the first pot the germinated seeds are planted in and since transplanting causes shock and plants stop growing it is wise to only transplant them one time. The six inch pot can be made of clay, plastic or some growers prefer to use Jiffy pots, these are made of compressed peat moss and can be planted in the larger pot without disturbing the young cannabis plant. The peat pots over time in soil will rot away causing no shock to the root system or stunting the growth of the pot plant.
When it is time to transplant the cannabis seedlings into the large pot, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way, because trapped in the soil of this pot is the tender root system. The seedlings should be ready to transplant approximately two weeks after planting and a rule of thumb that some growers use is that they should have four leaves when preparing to transplant. It is of the utmost importance that the plants be watched closely during this time, because pot plants that the roots are bound in the pot do not grow as well as those that had plenty of room for the root system when they were transplanted.
One of the ways to transplant the seedling into the larger pot that has been selected is by holding the six-inch container upside down and tapping the bottom when this does not loosen the plant from the container tapping the edge on the counter will normally loosen it. The soil and root ball should come out of the pot as one; this will cause the least amount of stress to the tender and root system.
Once this has been done the plant can then be put into the larger pot that has been prepared, this is done by placing prepared soil into the larger pots and scooping out a small amount of dirt where the seedling will be planted. When the seedling is placed into this hole, then soil can be placed around the plant filling in any spaces and covering the top of the root system.
Light is one of the most important things that is needed for growing marijuana, sun light is the best source of light, but that is not possible when growing an indoor garden and for this garden artificial lighting, when properly used can take place of sunlight. The marijuana plant during many of its growth stages needs as much light as absolutely possible and there are special lights that are used for growing plants that allow them to grow without sunlight to their fullest potential.
There are different types of lighting and each produces different frequencies of light that the plant is able to use, such as the common household light bulb, which is not the right type of lighting for growing plants. That is because it emits a high percentage of far red and infra red light which will cause the plant growth to be concentrated at the stem and this will make the plants grow tall and spindly. This can be a danger to the health of the plant as it will become top heavy causing the stem to bend.
The incandescent spot light is also not the proper lighting for growing the cannabis crop, while it does emit both blue and red light, it is not able to be placed close enough to the plants, which causes the plants to have to stretch to reach the light. This means yet again stems that are growing spindly and can cause problems and the red light also causes plants to concentrate on foliage growth.
The lighting that is best is florescent lighting, which emits the amounts of both red and blue light that the pot plants need to grow to a bountiful harvest and it is also able to be placed close to the plants unlike other types of lighting. One of the most common of these plant lights are the Gro-Lux lights, and these come in two different types, the standard light and the wide spectrum light, these can be used together while growing a crop of weed.
The advantage beside the fluorescent light being the best choice for growing is that it is possible to find the size of light for the grow area, for the grower that has adapted a closet to plant their crop or for the grower that has a large room. This is due to the fact that this type of lighting can be found in lengths from one foot to eight feet.
When deciding on this type of lighting the grower needs to make educated decisions to have a successful crop and this includes knowing that wide spectrum lighting were designed as a supplement light sources and that these produce a spectrum of light including infra red and higher concentrations of red and blue. The use of commercial fluorescent lights are known by experience growers as cool white, and emit as much blue light as a special grow light bulb, and this is used by the plant to grow foliage.
There are also bulbs that come in different standards, a regular output, a high output, and a very high output and the difference in most cases will be the amount of time the plants will take to grow to maturity. Plants will mature at different rates, because it will be dependent on the amount of light per day they have. While to the beginner they may feel more light is better, however plants with longer dark periods bloom faster. During the first six months, the plants need as much light as they can get to grow, but as they age, they require less light and the older the plant is prior to blooming and going to seed the better the pot will be.
One of the ways that is extremely easy to know the amount of time the plants have light and to relieve some of the human care is to use vacation timers. These can be purchased in hardware and other stores, and are used to turn lights on and off while a home is empty so that it will appear like there is someone home.
Temperature is important for cannabis plants and the ideal temperature is between 68 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit during the hours of light. During the hours of dark a 15 degree drop in temperature is tolerable for the plants. What this monitoring of the temperature does is to fool the plant into coating its leaves and buds with resin to protect its self from drying out and resin coated buds and leaves is what the grower wants.