Multiple Sclerosis is an approved Category 1 Health Canada MMAR Condition
Medical Marijuana is NOT for everyone and is often a last resort for people that have tried a variety of the pharmaceuticals below with little relief or too many side effects. Strong anecdotal evidence exists for the support of medical marijuana in treating MS symptoms but scientific research has been hampered by government legislation. We strongly suggest you discuss the potential benefit of medical marijuana with your doctor or specialist.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a painful, debilitating disorder of the central nervous system. MS is unpredictable, affecting vision, hearing, memory, balance and mobility.  There is no cure for MS. Symptoms vary considerably from person to person; however, one frequently noted symptom is spasticity, which causes pain, spasms, and loss of function. MS is an autoimmune disease, the exacerbations experienced with MS appear to be caused by abnormal immune activity that causes inflammation and the destruction of myelin (the protective covering of nerve fibers) in the brain or spinal cord.
Commonly Prescribed Drugs
Drugs commonly prescribed for muscle spasticity and tremor include Klonopin, Dantrium, Baclofen (Medtronic), Zanaflex, Klonopin (Clonazepam) and Valium (diazepam). These medications come with a list of side effects ranging from feeling lightheaded or drowsy, to slurred speech, blurred vision, changes in sexual drive and performance, gastrointestinal changes, muscle spasms and a fast or pounding heartbeat.
Benefits of Marijuana
Some benefits of medical marijuana that many MS patients have reported include improved:
- Muscle spasms
- Bladder control
MS Patients have reported that smoking medical marijuana reduces symptoms such as muscle stiffness and tremors, and allows for greater mobility Many studies of the pharmacology of marijuana have identified effects on motor systems of the central nervous system that have the potential of affecting tremor and spasticity. Moreover, marijuana has demonstrated effects on immune function that also may have the potential of reducing the autoimmune attack that is thought to be the underlying pathogenic process in MS.
Cannabinoids are chemicals that are found naturally in Marijuana. Researchers believe that these naturally found cannabinoids could create immune suppression. Much like steroids, but with fewer side effects, cannabinoids can “switch off” a portion of the immune response and bring down inflammation and hyperactivity of immune cells, possibly preventing or slowing some of the damage caused to the myelin by immune cells. The cannabinoids do this by interacting with the receptors on specific immune cells.
Sativex is a cannabis-based pharmaceutical product developed by GW Pharmaceuticals in 2005 for treating symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. It is composed mainly of two cannabanoids naturally found in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). It comes in the form of a mouth spray. It has been approved as adjunctive treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with multiple sclerosis.  It has also been shown to help reduce spasticity, muscle spasms and sleep disturbances in MS patients. 
Popular Cannabis Strains for Multiple Sclerosis
For those looking for natural methods of relief for multiple sclerosis may want to consider the following cannabis strains.
1. AK47 is one of the most popular sativa-dominant strains which has won several awards across the world including the Cannabis Cup. It delivers a long-lasting buzz that will make you mentally alert and social while providing a mellow body high. The high THC content helps deal with muscle spasms while delivering a psychoactive buzz. Due to the high most users find AK47 puts them in a euphoric and peaceful state.
2. White Rhino is another popular strain for those with MS. This cannabis strain is a hybrid that includes White Widow and another unknown indica strain. It’s ideal for chronic pain sufferers and those with MS as it provides a body numbing effect. It also provides medicinal benefits for those suffering from depression, insomnia and anxiety. White Rhino is a strong strain that is also high in THC content.
3. Strawberry Cough is a hybrid sativa strain between Strawberry Field and Original haze. This cannabis strain is quite popular and often times sold out due to its popularity. For those suffering from Multiple Sclerosis will benefit from the euphoric feeling as well as physical energy to be productive. Strawberry Cough also helps with concentration or focus which makes it a perfect for daytime consumption.
4. Critical Mass is a combination of Skunk #1 and Afghani. It contains high THC levels as high as 22%. This strain should be reserved for evening and nightime consumption as it’s Indica-dominant which provides a sedative effect. This strain is typically popular in helping those suffering from anorexia, nausea and migraines. While users will feel lethargic after consuming Critical Mass they will also feel more creative and focused.
4. Blackberry Kush is a combination of Afghani and Black berry strains that are mostly indica. This strain is widely used for pain relief as well as stress and anxiety. Since this strain is indica-dominant it will leave you couch-locked while giving a euphoric feeling. Those with MS will find aid with Black berry Kush as it’s medicinal benefits last for hours while providing peaceful and uninterrupted sleep.
Please take a look at these interesting articles and books for further information on MS and the benefits of medical marijuana.